Sharifullin Rafind Fuatovich (February 1, 1950) – Archaeologist, Expert in the Archaeology of the Middle Volga Region. He graduated from the History Faculty of the Kazan State University, graduate school of the G. Ibragimov Institute of Language, Literature and Art of the Kazan Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences with a specialty in Archaeology.
Research Interests: medieval archaeology of the Middle Volga region, construction and architecture of the urban centers of Volga Bolgaria on the basis of archaeological study results. He has written over 60 articles and publications dedicated to the studied topic. Since 1969, he annually participates in the activities of archaeological expeditions at various sites (Bilyar and Nizhnekamsk expeditions, Tetyushsky burial ground, Bolgar expedition and Suvar settlement, the Kazan Kremlin). In 1980, he became a member of the Bolgar archaeological expedition, and headed it from 1988 to 2010. He is one of the authors and the editor of the multivolume series “Bolgar Town”.
Primary Scientific Works:
- “Caravan-Serai” of Ancient Bilyar (co-authored by Khalikov A.Kh.) // Studies of the Great Town. Moscow: “Nauka” Publ., 1976.
- On the development of architecture in premongolian Volga-Bolgaria. (co-authored by Khalikov A.Kh.) // Acta archaeologica Academiae scientiarum Hungaricae. 29 (1-2). Budapest, 1977.
- Wells of the Center of Bilyar Settlement // New in the Archaeology of the Volga Region. Moscow, 1979.
- Wood in the Construction of Volga Bolgaria of the Pre-Mongol Period // From the History of the Material Culture of the Tatar People. Kazan, 1981.
- Craftsmen Tools // Culture of Bilyar. Moscow: “Nauka” Publ., 1985,
- Early dwellings of the Volga Bolgars // Archaeology of Volga Bolgaria: Issues, Searches, Solutions. Kazan, 1993.
- Gypsum in the Construction Industry of the Volga Bolgars // Bilyar and Volga Bolgaria. Kazan, 1997.
- Bathhouses of Bolgar and their Study // Bolgar Town. Monumental Construction, Architecture, Improvement. Moscow: “Nauka” Publ., 2001,
- A Bolgar Town of the Golden Horde Period // Essays on the Archaeology of Tatarstan. Kazan, 2001.
- Tools and Equipment of Bolgar Builders (The Issue of Classification) // Issues of the Ancient and Medieval History of the Middle Volga Region (Proceedings of the Second Khalikov Readings). Kazan, 2002,
- Archaeological Study of the Architectural Monuments of Bolgar in 1981-2001 // Issues of Protection and Restoration of Monuments in Modern Conditions (Proceedings of the All-Russian Scientific and Practical conference dedicated to the 280th Anniversary of the Decree of Peter the Great on the Protection of Bolgar Antiquities”. Kazan, 2003.
- Study of Bilyar Structures made of Brick and Stone. // The Archaeology of the Volga and Ural Regions. Kazan, 2003.
- The history of the Archaeological Study of Bolgar. // The Volga River Region Archaeology, 2014, No. 3, pp. 56-74.
- Archaeology of Bolgar in 1981-2009 // Bolgar Town. Dwellings and Residential Buildings. Moscow: “Nauka” Publ., 2016.