Nabiullin Nail Gatiatullovich (December 12, 1968) – Russian Archaeologist, Candidate of Historical Sciences, Expert in the Archaeology of Volga Bolgaria, the Ulus of Jochi and the Kazan Khanate. Senior Research Associate at the Medieval Archaeology Department. Head of the “Juketaw” Archaeological Expedition. In 1993, he graduated from the Faculty of History of the Kazan State University named after V.I. Ulyanov-Lenin; in 2016 he graduated with honors from the Law Faculty of the Kazan Innovative University named after V.G. Timiryasov. He studied at the graduate school of the G. Ibragimov Institute of Language, Literature and History of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (1997). Candidate’s Thesis “The Town of Juketaw in the 10th-14th cc. on the Basis of Archaeological Studies” (2000). He completed a monographical study of one of the historical Bolgar towns – Juketaw (Zhukotin). In the Kazan Kremlin, he investigated the monumental objects of stone architecture (“Khan’s Palace”), fortifications, and the remains of craft complexes.
Academic interests: medieval archaeology of the Volga-Kama region, archaeology of the early modern period.
Titles and Awards:
Certificate of Honour of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Tatarstan (2007)
State Prize in the field of Science and Technology (2008)
Medal “In Memory of the 1000th Anniversary of Kazan” (2008)
Certificate of Honour of the Institute of History named after Sh. Mardzhani of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences (2008)
Honorable mentions by the Administration of the Chistopolsky Municipal District of the Republic of Tatarstan (2007, 2010, 2012)
Certificate of the Presidium of the Central Council of the All-Russian Society for the Preservation of Historical and Cultural Monuments (Moscow) (2015)
Medal “For Merit in Preserving the Heritage of the Fatherland” (2016)
Badge “For Achievements in Culture” of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Tatarstan (2016)
Honorary Mention by the Presidium of the Council of the Trans-Kama Branch of the Union of Regional Studies of Russia (2016)
M.D. Kalmenov. Archaeological Monuments of Ustyurt and Mangistau on Medieval Caravan Routes (10th-14th cc.). Thesis in Support of Candidature for a Degree of a Candidate of Historical Sciences. Specialty 07.00.06 – Archaeology. Kazan, 2013.
List of Main Publications:
- Ancient Kazan: Summary of Results and Prospects of Archaeological Studies. Kazan, 1995, 42 p. (co-authored by Khuzin F.Sh., Sharifullin R.F., Khlebnikova T.A., Sitdikov A.G.).
- The Upper Kama Region and Juketaw // Transport Routes, Communications, Scientific Achievements of the Peoples of Eurasia. Proceedings of the International Scientific and Practical Conference. Berezniki, 1997, pp. 46-48.
- Studies of the Medieval Necropolis of Juketaw in Tatarstan // New Studies by the Archaeologists of Russia and the CIS Countries. Proceedings of the Plenary Session of the Institute for the History of Material Culture of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Saint Petersburg, 1997, pp. 115-117.
- The Issue of the “Juketaw” Type of Ceramics // Bilyar and Volga Bolgaria: Study and Protection of Archaeological Monuments. Proceedings of the Scientific Conference. Kazan, 1997, pp. 61-63.
- New in the Study of the Bolgar Town of Juketaw // All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference “Humanistic Traditions of the West and the East in the Museum Affairs of Russia and Tatarstan”. Proceedings of the Archaeology Section. Kazan, 1997, pp. 30-33.
- The Golden Horde Juketaw and its Upper Date // Bolgar and the Issues of the Historical development of the Western Trans-Kama Region. Proceedings of the Scientific Conference. Bolgar, 1998, pp. 43.44.
- The issue of Juketaw “Principality” // Bolgar and the Issues of the Historical Development of Western Trans-Kama Region. Proceedings of the Scientific Conference. Bolgar, 1998, pp. 44-45.
- Fortifications of Juketaw // Military Archaeology. Armament and Military Art in the Historical and Social Perspective. Proceedings of the International Conference. Saint Petersburg, 1998, pp. 219-223.
- Ethnocultural Factor in the Formation of the Bolgar Population of the Lower Kama Region (10th-14th cc.). // Proceedings of the 30th Ural-Volga Region Archaeological Conference of Young Scientists. Samara, 1998, pp. 134,135.
- Bolgar Town Juketaw on the Kama River (on the Basis of Materials of Excavation 3 of 1991, 1993) // Archaeological Study of Bolgar Towns. Kazan, 1999, pp. 90-113 (co-authored by Khuzin F.Sh.).
- The Town of Juketaw in the Light of New Archaeological Studies // Scientific Heritage of A.P. Smirnov and the Modern Problems of the Archaeology of the Volga-Kama Region. Abstracts of the Scientific Conference. Moscow, 1999, pp. 113-115.
- Results of the New Archaeological Studies of Juketaw // Bolgar and the Issues of Studying the Antiquities of the Ural-Volga Region. 100th Anniversary of A.P. Smirnov. Proceedings of the Scientific Conference. Bolgar, 1999, pp. 58, 59.
- Krutogorskoye Village and Burial Ground // Issues of Primeval and Medieval Archaeology. Abstracts of the First Khalikov Readings. Kazan, 1999, pp. 88-91.
- The Pre-Mongol Juketaw and its Lower Date // Studies by P.N. Stepanov and the Ethnocultural Processes of Antiquity and Modernity. Proceedings of the International Conference. Saransk, 1999, pp. 65-68.
- Excavations in the Handicraft Area of Juketaw (Based on Materials from Excavation 5 of 1994) // Problems of the Ancient and Medieval Archaeology of the Volga-Kama Region. Kazan, 1999, pp. 101-126.
- The Town of Juketaw on the Kama in the 10th-14th cc.: Results of New Archaeological Studies // Russian Archaeology: Achievements of the 20th and Prospects of the 21st cc. Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference. Izhevsk, 2000, pp. 332-333.
- The Town of Juketaw in the 13th-14th cc. (the Issue of the Transition of a Rre-Mongol Town to a Golden Horde Town) // Tatar Archaeology, 2001. No. 1-2 (8-9). pp. 47-63.
- Kazan Kremlin // Design and New Architecture. 2001, No.8, pp. 4-5 (co-authored by Khuzin F.Sh.).
- Security and Rescue excavations in the North-Eastern Part of the Kazan Kremlin (Excavation 48) // Archaeological Discoveries in Tatarstan: 2000. Kazan, 2001, pp. 20-23.
- Economic and Production Activities, Household Life and Culture of the Population of Juketaw on the Basis of Archaeological Data // Problems of History, Culture and Development of the Languages of the Peoples of Tatarstan and the Volga-Urals: Proceedings of the 5th Regional Scientific and Practical Conference of Young Scientists and Specialists Dedicated to the 10th Anniversary of the Tatar State University of Humanities and Education. Kazan: “Gumanitarya” Publ., 2002, pp. 175-182.
- Burial Grounds of Juketaw (Part I. Krutogorsky Burial Ground) // Local Lore Readings and Wednesdays. Issue 3: Proceedings of Meetings Held at the National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan in 2002-2003. Kazan: “RITs Schkola” Publ., 2003, pp. 44-61.
- New in the Archaeology of Medieval Kazan // International (16th Ural) Archaeological Meeting. Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference. Perm, October 6-10, 2003, Perm, 2003. pp. 167-168.
- New Materials on the Economic and Production Activities, Household Life and Culture of Juketaw // From the Archaeology of the Volga Region and the Cis-Urals. Kazan, 2003. pp. 184-190.
- New Materials on the History of Medieval Kazan // Zelenodolsk Region: Issues of History and Culture. East – West: Dialogue of the Cultures of Eurasia. Abstracts of the Proceedings of the Regional Scientific and Practical Conference “Historical and Cultural Heritage of the Zelenodolsk Region and Tatarstan from the Perspective of Teaching History and Regional Museum Activities at Schools”. Zelenodolsk, October 24, 2003. Kazan, 2003. pp. 71-74.
- Security and Rescue Activities in the Territory of the Former Khan’s Courtayrd (Excavation 48) // Archaeological Discoveries in Tatarstan: 2001. Kazan, 2003. pp. 21-26.
- Security and Rescue Activities at the Pyatigrannaya Tower of the Kazan Kremlin (Excavation 47) // Archaeological Discoveries in Tatarstan: 2001. Kazan, 2003. pp. 10-14.
- Security and Rescue Activities at the Taynitskaya Tower and Northern Wall of the Kazan Kremlin (Excavation 46) // Archaeological Discoveries in Tatarstan: 2001. Kazan, 2003. pp. 8-10.
- Ethnic Processes in the Lower Kama Region in the 10th-14th cc. (on the Basis of Archaeological Studies of the Bolgar-Tatar Town of Juketaw) // Integration of Archaeological and Ethnographic Studies. Collection of Research Papers. Omsk, June 9-12, 2003, Omsk, 2003. pp. 216-218.
- Studies of Kyzyl Chapchak (Krasnokadkinskoye) Settlement // Archaeological Discoveries of 2003. Moscow, 2004.
- Juketaw // Chistopol and Chistopol Population. From the Past of the Present. Kazan, 2004, pp. 11-21 (co-authored by F.Sh. Khuzin).
- Zhukotin in Chronicles // Treasures of the Culture of Tatarstan. Historical Heritage. Culture and Art / Heritage of the Peoples of the Russian Federation. Issue 5. Saint Petersburg, 2004.
- New Data on the Archaeology of Medieval Kazan (Review of the Materials of Individual Security and Rescue Excavations) // Tatar Archaeology. 2004, No. 1-2 (10-11), pp. 32-46.
- Security and Rescue Studies of the Pyatigrannaya Tower of the Kazan Kremlin (excavation 47) // Archaeological Discoveries in Tatarstan: 2002. Kazan, 2004, p. 5.
- Archaeological and Soil Studies of Bolgar Monuments in the Trans-Kama Region // Influence of the Natural Environment on the Development of Ancient Communities. Proceedings of the Scientific Conference dedicated to the 50th Anniversary of the Mari Archaeological Expedition. Yoshkar-Ola, 2006, pp. 247-251 (co-authored by Garif N.G., Melnikov L.V., Nabiullin N.G., Nurislamov R.Kh.).
- Bolgaria – a Country of Towns. Other Urban Centers // The History of the Tatars since Ancient Times in seven volumes. Vol. II. Kazan, 2006, pp. 189-205 (co-authored by Khuzin F.Sh., Nigamaev A.Z., Sitdikov A.G.).
- The Golden Horde Juketaw // Town and Steppe in the Euro-Asian Contact Zone. Abstracts of the 3rd International Scientific Conference dedicated to the 75th Anniversary of G.A. Fedorov-Davydov (1931-2000). Moscow: “Numizmaticheskaya literatura” Publ., 2006, pp. 111-112.
- Studies of the Bolgar settlement of Kyzyl Chapchak (“Krasnokadkinskoye”) in 2003 // Historical and Archaeological Studies of the Volga Region and the Urals. Proceedings of the 3rd Khalikov Readings. Kazan: “RITs Schkola” Publ., 2006, pp. 224-238 (co-authored by N.G. Garif)
- Stone Architecture of the Kazan Kremlin (on the Basis of the Materials of Security and Rescue Excavations 47 and 48) // Kazan in the Middle Ages and the Early Modern Period. Proceedings the All-Russian Scientific Conference. Kazan, 2006, pp. 58-65.
- Comments and notes [to Article by V.F. Smolin “Hoard of Oriental Golden Items from the Bolgar Town of Juketaw”] // Tatar Archaeology. 2006. No. 1-2 (16-17). pp. 31-36.
- New Data on the Archaeology of Medieval Kazan (on the Basis of Materials from Excavations 13, 47, 48) // Modern Issues of the Archaeology of Russia. Proceedings of the All-Russian Archaeological Congress. Novosibirsk, 2006, Vol. II. pp. 233-236.
- The Town of Juketaw and its Neighbourhood // Tatar Archaeology, 2007, No. 3-4 (18-19), pp. 138-155.
- Summary of the Issues of Studying the Area in Vicinity of Juketaw // Medieval Archaeology of the Eurasian Steppes. Proceedings of the Founding Convention of the International Congress. Vol. II. Kazan: Institute of History of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2007, pp. 103-114.
- Technology of the Manufacture of Blacksmithing Products from Juketaw Settlement on the Basis of Metallographic Analyzes // Local History Notes: Collection of Scientific Works of the Regional Scientific Conference “History and Contemporaneity of Simbirsk-Ulyanovsk Krai. Ulyanovsk – 2006”. Issue 13. Ulyanovsk: “Korporatsiya Tekhnologiy Prodvizheniya” Publ., 2007, pp. 100-109 (co-authored by Y.A. Semykin).
- Juketaw in the 13th-14th Centuries // The History of the Tatars since Ancient Times. Vol. III. Kazan, 2009. pp. 391-394.
- Results of Archaeological Works in the Area of Juketaw // The Golden Horde Heritage. Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference “Political and Socio-Economic History of the Golden Horde (13th – 15th cc.)”. March 17, 2009, Collection of articles. Issue 1. Kazan, 2009, pp. 346-357 (co-authored by N.G. Garif, N.F. Ismagilov).
- Our History – from the Depths of Centuries // Chistaem / Native Chistopol. Kazan, 2009, pp. 22-37 (co-authored by F.Sh. Khuzin).
- Summary of the Results of Archaeological Studies in Chistopolsky District // Study and Preservation of the Historical and Cultural Heritage of Chistopolsky District. Issue 1. Kazan, 2009, pp. 5-13 (co-authored by N.G. Garif, N. Nakkash, G.I. Lykov, A.F. Orlova).
- Anthropology of the population of Juketaw (based on materials from the Donaurovsky burial ground) // Proceedings of the Kazan University. Vol. 153. Humanities Series. Book 3, 2011, pp. 21-28 (co-authored by Gazimzyanov I.R.). http://old.kpfu.ru/uz_r/bin_files3/153_3_gum_2.pdf
- Juketaw – the Town of Bolgars on the Kama. Kazan: “Tatarskoye knizhnoye izdatelstvo” Publ., 2011, 143 p.
- Natural Factor in the Culture of Volga Bolgaria // Proceedings of the 4th All-Russian Scientific Conference “Ecology of Ancient and Traditional Societies”. Section “Sustenance of the Ancient and Medieval Societies”. November 14-18, 2011, Issue 4. Tyumen, 2011, pp. 223-226.
- Economic Activity of the Population of Juketaw on the Basis of Archaeozological Materials // Philology and Culture. 2012, No. 2 (28), pp. 274-281 (co-authored by: Petrenko A.G., Asylgaraeva G.Sh.). http://philology-and-culture.kpfu.ru/?q=system/files/59_0.pdf
- Source Potential of Non-Glazed “traditional” Clay Ware (on the Example of the Ceramic Complex of Juketaw dated the 10th – 14th cc. // Philology and Culture. 2013. No. 3 (33). pp. 232-235 (co-authored by Bakhmatova V.N.). http://philology-and-culture.kpfu.ru/?q=system/files/48_5.pdf
- New Studies of the Staroromashkinsky Complex of Archaeological Monuments // Medieval Eurasia: Symbiosis of Towns and Steppe. Proceedings of the 2nd International Bolgar Forum. – Kazan, 2013, pp. 144-148.
- Researcher of the Medieval Town of Juketaw (Dedicated to the 85th Anniversary of T.A. Khlebnikova) // The Volga River Region Archaeology. 2013, No.3 (5), pp. 213-219.
- Glass Jewelry of Juketaw: Morphology and Chemical Composition // Philology and Culture. 2013. No. 3 (33), pp. 240-244. (co-authored by Khramchenkova R.Kh.). http://philology-and-culture.kpfu.ru/?q=system/files/50_5.pdf
- Results and Prospects of Juketaw Studies // Proceedings of the 4th (20th) Archaeological Congress. October 20-25, 2014, Vol. 3, Kazan, 2014, pp. 444-446 (co-authored by Asylgaraeva G.Sh., Bakhmatova V.N., Gazimzyanov I.R., Melnikov L.V., Mukhametshin D.G., Semykin Yu.A., Khramchenkova R.Kh.).
- The preservation of Bolgaro-Tatar Necropoleis // Proceedings of the 3rd International Congress of Islamic Archaeology (Russia and the CIS Countries). Kazan: Institute of Archaeology of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2016, pp. 126-132.
- Interdisciplinary research of iron casting technologies in the town of Juketaw during the golden horde period // Acta IMEKO. 2017. Vol. 6, Is. 3. P. 87-93 (co-authored by E. Shaykhutdinova, R. Khramchenkova, A. Belyaev, R. Yanbaev, A. Sitdikov).
- Cast Iron Ware of Juketaw: Results of Interdisciplinary Studies // The Volga River Region Archaeology. 2017. No. 2 (20), pp. 42-58 (co-authored by Belyaev A.V., Khramchenkova R.Kh., Shaikhutdinova E.F., Yanbaev R.M.).
- The Issue of Localization of Historically Known Sites of the Modern Period (on the Example of “Chalninskiy Gorodok”) // The Volga River Region Archaeology, 2017, No. 4 (22), pp. 99-111 (co-authored by Yermakov V.V., Gazizov D.G., Salakhatdinova G.T.).
- Issues of the Conservation of the Bolgar-Tatar Necropoleis // Archaeology of the Eurasian Steppes. 2017, No. 1, 2017, pp. 234-238.
- Archaeometric Study of the Cast Iron Metallurgy of the Middle Volga Region in the Golden Horde Period // 5th (21st) All-Russian Archaeological Congress [Electronic Resource]: Collection of Scientific Papers / Executive Editor A.P. Derevyanko, A.A. Tishkin. Barnaul: Altai State University, 2017, pp. 1149-1150 (co-authored by: Shaikhutdinova E.F., Sitdikov A.G., Khramchenkova R.Kh., Belyaev A.V., Yanbaev R.M.)
- Medieval Non-Glazed Clay Ware from the Territory and Surroundings of Nizhnyaya Tatarskaya Maina Village of Aksubayevsky Municipal District // Regional Ethnography in the Trans-Kama Region. Collection of articles of the Scientific and Practical Conference “Issues of Studying the History and Culture of Settlements in the Western Trans-Kama Region” / Compiler and executive editor R.G. Nasyrov. Kazan: 2017, pp. 173-177 (co-authored by Z.G. Shakirov).
- Archaeology of Aksubaevsky Municipal District // Regional Ethnography in the Trans-Kama Region. Collection of articles of the Scientific and Practical Conference “Issues of Studying the History and Culture of Settlements in the Western Trans-Kama Region” / Compiler and executive editor R.G. Nasyrov. Kazan, 2017, pp. 73-78 (co-authored by Shakirov Z.G.).