Bugrov Dmitry Gennadievich (July 22, 1966, Kazan) – Archaeologist, Candidate of Historical Sciences, expert in the archaeology of the Final Early Iron Age – Early Middle Ages of the Volga-Ural Region. Senior Research Associate at the Primeval Archaeology Department of the Institute of Archaeology named after A.Kh. Khalikov of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences. Dmitry Gennadievich graduated from the Faculty of History of the Kazan State University named after V.I. Ulyanov-Lenin in 1991. He worked in the State United Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan (since 2001 – the National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan) as a research associate, head of sector and senior research associate of the Department of History of the Pre-Soviet Period (since 1992 – the Department of Archaeology and History of the Region) and the Funds Department. In 2000-2003 he headed the newly established Department of Archaeology of the National Museum of the Tatarstan Republic. During the period of his work in the museum, Dmitry Gennadievich participated in the creation of 11 expositions, in 4 of which he was was a project manager. In 2006-2014 he worked at the National Center for Archaeological Research of the Institute of History named after Sh. Mardzhani of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences as a research associate and senior research associate. In 2001 he graduated from the postgraduate school under the Institute of History named after Sh. Mardzhani of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences under the academic supervision of P.N. Starostin, and in 2006 he defended a thesis “Monuments of the Pyanobor Culture of the Iksa-Bel Interfluve”. He is the author of more than 60 scientific publications. Starting with the period of studying at the university (since 1988) Dmitry Gennadievich has conducted independent field archaeological research, including salvage and rescue excavations of Sorochiegorsk (1990, excavations 3 and 4), Toiguzinsky II (1995-2000) and Ust-Menzelsky (2007) settlements, Menzelinsky (1998-1999) and Gulyukovsky (2006-2007, 2009, 2012 and 2014) burial mounds. In 2010-2013 he participated in the preparation of a concept and the creation of an exposition of the Museum of Bolgar Civilization (Bolgar).
Academic Interests: archaeological cultures of the Volga-Kama region at the turn of historical periods – the first half of the 1st Millennium A.D.
Titles and Awards:
Medal “In Commemoration of the 1000th Anniversary of Kazan” (2008)
- Tuqay State Prize of the Republic of Tatarstan for the creation of an artistic and spatial installation “Bolgar Civilization. The Millennium Road” (2016, co-author)
Matveev R.V. Armament of the population of the Volga-Vyatka interfluve in late 2nd – 4th centuries A.D. Thesis in Support of Candidature for a Degree of a Candidate of Historical Sciences. Specialty 07.00.06 – Archaeology. Kazan, 2013.
Myasnikov N.S. Archaeological sites of the first half of the 1st Millennium A.D. at the Sura-Sviayaga interfluve. Thesis in Support of Candidature for a Degree of a Candidate of Historical Sciences. Specialty 07.00.06 – Archaeology. Izhevsk, 2016.
RFBR grant (2007–2009) “Primitive Man and Natural Environment in the Volga-Kama Region: Methodological Aspects of the Reconstruction of Natural Management and Economic Activity (Project No. 07-06-00169, author).
Main Scientific Publications:
- Objects with notched enamel from the Lower Kama Region // Historical and archaeological study of the Volga region / Executive Editor: Yu.A. Zeleneev. Yoshkar-Ola: Mari State University Publ., 1994, pp. 33-38.
- Fortifications of Sorochiegorsk settlement // Monuments of the ancient history of the Volga-Kama Region / Issues of Tatarstan Archaeology. Issue 1, Kazan, 1994, pp. 93-103 (co-authors: K.A. Rudenko, A.Kh. Khalikov).
- The issue of “German” parallels in the housebuilding of Imenkovo culture // Archaeology of the Central Chernozem Region and adjacent territories. Abstracts of the scientific conference. Lipetsk, 1999, pp. 138-140.
- Fortifications of the Toiguzinsky II settlement // New studies in Medieval Archaeology of the Volga Region and the Cis-Urals. Materials of the International Field Symposium dedicated to the 100th Anniversary of A.P. Smirnov and the 25th Anniversary of the studies of Idnakar settlement. Izhevsk, Glazov: Udmurt Institute of History, Language and Literature of the Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 1999, pp. 145-153.
- The collection of the classical black-glaze pottery in the collection of the State museum of the Republic of Tatarstan // Ancient civilization from Scythia to Siberia / International Journal of Comparative Studies in History and Archaeology. Vol. 6, No.1-2. Leiden, Boston, Köln, 1999, pp. 131-154 (co-author: N.A. Bugrova).
- The issues of bone arrowheads of Pyanobor culture (on the basis of materials from Toyguzinsky II settlement) // Scientific heritage of A.P. Smirnov and the contemporary issues of the archeology of the Volga-Kama Region. Proceedings of the scientific conference / Proceedings of the State Historical Museum. Issue 122, Moscow, 2000, pp. 83–92.
- Historical source or a source of misinformation? (The issue of incorrect references to museum collections) // Museum in the system of values of Eurasian culture. Materials of the All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference. Kazan: “RITs “Skhola” Publ., 2000, pp. 219-222.
- Monuments of Pyanobor culture on the left bank of the Nizhny Ik (the results of 1995-2000 research) // Issues of the cultural genesis of peoples in the Volga-Ural Region. Proceedings of the Interregional Scientific Conference dedicated to the 25th Anniversary of the Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography of the Center for Ethnographic Studies of the Ufa Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Ufa: “Gilem” Publ., 2001, pp. 27-32.
- Women’s costume of Imenkov culture as an ethnocultural indicator (experience of reconstruction on the basis of materials from Kominternovsky II burial mound) // Historical sources, experience of interaction and tolerance of peoples in the Cis-Urals. Proceedings of the international scientific conference dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the Kama-Vyatka archaeological expedition / Editors: R.D. Goldina, N.A. Leshchinskaya et al. Izhevsk: Institute of Economics and Management of the Udmurt State University Publ., 2002, pp. 227-233.
- Archaeological Collections of the Society of Archaeology, History and Ethnography in the Funds of the National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan: The History of Transfer (on the basis of documents from the archives of the accounting sector of the National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan) // 125th Anniversary of the Society of Archaeology, History and Ethnography under the Kazan University. Issues of Historical and Cultural Development of the Volga-Ural Region. Archaeological studies: Collection of scientific reports and papers dedicated to the 200th Anniversary of the Kazan University / Executive Editor: S.I. Valiulina, Part I, Kazan: Kazan State University, 2004, pp. 26-34.
- Burial of an artisan woman from Tetyushsky II burial mound // Proceedings of local history readings dedicated to the 135th Anniversary of the Society of Naturalists at the Kazan State University and the 110th anniversary of M.G. Khudyakov / Editors: G.S. Mukhanov et al. Kazan: “RITs “Schkola” Publ., 2004. pp. 77-94.
- An early medieval complex from the collection of A.F. Likhachev in the funds of the National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan // Interaction of the Peoples of Eurasia in the Great Migration Period / Editors: R.D. Goldina, I.G. Shapran et al. Izhevsk: Udmurt State University Publ., 2006, pp. 261-269.
- Pyanobor settlements with a semi-circular and circular fortification at the Iksa-Bel interfluve // Interaction of Eurasian peoples of in the Great Migration Period / Editors: R.D. Goldina, I.G. Shapran et al. – Izhevsk: Udmurt State University Publ., 2006, pp. 307-318.
- Beads from Toiguzinsky II settlement // Issues of History, Philology and Culture. Issue XVII. Moscow, Magnitogorsk, Novosibirsk, 2007, pp. 442-453.
- New materials on the Eneolithic of the Iksa-Bel Interfluve // Orignation and interactions of the Ural peoples in the changing ethnocultural environment of Eurasia: issues of of studying and historiography / Executive Editors: V.S. Gorbunov et al. Ufa: “Kitap” Publ., 2007, pp. 104-109 (co-author: M.Sh. Galimova).
- Menzelinsky burial mound // Ancient and Medieval Archaeology of the Volga-Kama Region: Collection of Articles dedicated to the 70th Anniversary of P.N. Starostin / Archaeology of the Eurasian Steppes. Issue 10, Kazan: Institute of History of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2009, pp. 61-80 (co-author: A.A. Chizhevsky).
- The issue of the time period of initial Muslimization of the population of the eastern periphery of Volga Bolgaria // Scientific Tatarstan. 2010, No.4, pp. 19-25 (co-authors: N.M. Kaplenko, A.G. Sitdikov).
- Horn couplings from lake settlements of Switzerland in the collection of the National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan // Bulletin of the Tatar State University of Humanities and Education. 2011, No.4 (26), pp. 107-113. (co-author: M.Sh. Galimova).
- Complex of findings from a destroyed early medieval burial in northern Tatarstan // The Volga River Region Archaeology. 2015. No.4, pp. 7-34.