Baranov Vyacheslav Sergeevich (October 22, 1962, Kostroma) – archeologist, Candidate of Historical Sciences, specialist in medieval and Golden Horde archaeology. Senior Research Associate of the Department of the Museum of Archaeology of the Institute of Archaeology named after A.Kh. Khalikov of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences. He graduated from the Faculty of History of the Kazan State University named after V.I. Ulyanov-Lenin in 1987. In 1987-2000 he worked at the Bolgar State Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve (BGIAMZ) as a Senior Research Associate and Head of the Archaeology Department During his work at BGIAMZ he participated in the archeological study of Bolgar settlement. In 2001-2014 he worked at Kostroma United Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve (since 2004 – Kostroma State Historical-Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve) as a Senior Research Associate, Custodian of the “Archaeology” Fund and Head of the Storage Department. During his work at the Kostroma Reserve he was engaged in accounting and custodial work, and participated in the development of exposition and exhibition projects in Kostroma and Galich. In 1994-1998 he graduated from the postgraduate school under the Sh. Mardzhani Institute of History of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences under the supervision of G.A. Fedorov-Davydov, and defended a Candidate’s Thesis “Improvement of the Towns of Volga Bolgaria (according to archaeological materials of the 10th – 15th centuries from Bolgar settlement” in 2001).
He is the author of over 30 scientific publications.
His first independent field archaeological studies were conducted in 1991, including:
– excavations of Bolgar settlement:
excavations 107, 1990 (in collaboration with M.M. Kaveev); 112, 1991-1993; 119, 1993-1995 (in collaboration with M.M. Kaveev); 122, 1994-1996;
124, 1995; 128, 1997; 129, 1997-1998; 135, 1999;
140, 2002-2003; security research activities in 2010-2012 (excavations 146, 149, 162 (in collaboration with V.Yu. Koval), 163, 176).
– security and research excavations in Kostroma (2006), Vladimir (2007).
In 2013 he participated in the preparation of an exposition at the Museum of the Bolgar Civilization (the town of Bolgar), in 2016 – exhibition: “Assumption Church in the Historical and Cultural Landscape of Bolgar Settlement”.
In 2013-2015 participated in the publishing project “Great Bolgar” in Russian and English, and in 2016-2017 – in the publishing project “Catalog of the Museum of Bolgar Civilization”
Academic interests: urban culture of Volga Bolgaria and the Golden Horde, issues of Bolgarian settlement studies, issues of the museumification of archaeological sites and collections
Titles and Awards:
Regional award of the Kostroma region named after N.N. Selifontov in the field of museum activity of 2012 in the nomination of “Museum Researcher”
Certificate of Honour of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences for the 10th Anniversary of the Museum of Archaeology of the Tatarstan Republic in 2015
Grant of the President of the Russian Federation for State Support of the Leading Scientific Institutions of the Russian Federation No. NSh-7170.2016.6. “Processes of Urbanization and Urban Planning in the Volga Region (10th – 16th cc.)” (contractor).
Main Scientific Publications:
Sections in Collective Monographs:
1. Issues of Improvement of Bolgar Town and their Archaeological Study // Bolgar Town. Monumental Construction, Architecture, Improvement. – Moscow, 2001. – Pp. 311-353;
2. The Role of Urban Development in the Establishment of the Urban Culture of Medieval Bolgar // Bolgar Town. Culture, Art, Trade. – Moscow, 2008. – Pp. 108-124;
3. Archaeological Study of the Mausoleums in the Central Part of Bolgar
Settlement // Bolgar Town. Monumental Construction, Architecture, Urban Development. – Moscow, 2001. – Pp. 176-199 (co-authored by: M.M. Kaveev);
4. Residential Development Objects in One of the Areas on the South-Eastern Periphery of Bolgar Town // Bolgar Town. Dwellings and Residential Buildings. Moscow: “Nauka” Publ., 2016. – Pp. 192-226.
1. On the Heraldic Image of the Leopard from Bolgar // Historical and Archaeological Study of the Volga Region. Interuniversity Collection. – Yoshkar-Ola, 1994. – Pp. 126 – 129.
2. Hoard of Copper Ware from Bolgar // Tatar Archaeology. – 2001. – No. 1-2 (8-9). – Pp. 75-103;
3. Ceramic Pipes from Bolgar Settlement (Experience of Statistical and Metrological Study) // From the Archaeology of the Volga and Kama Regions. – Kazan, 2003. – Pp. 206-226;
4. Summary of Results of Studying the Craft Village in the South-Eastern Part of Bolgar Settlement // Antiquity and the Middle Ages of the Volga-Kama Region. Proceedings of the Third Khalikov Readings. – Kazan – Bolgar, 2004. – Pp. 5-10;
5. On the Findings of Bolgar Pottery in the Territory
of Kostroma // Idel-Altai Forum. Proceedings of the Scientific and Practical Conference “Idel-Altai: Origins of the Eurasian Civilization, 1st International Congress of Medieval Archaeology of the Eurasian Steppes”. Theses. – Kazan, 2009. – Pp. 26-28;
6. Studies of the Remains of a Monumental Structure South-West of the Cathedral Mosque in Bolgar // The Volga River Region Archaeology. – 2012. – No. 1. – Pp. 158-171 (co-authored by: V.Yu. Koval, D.Yu. Badeev);
7. 17th century Tombstone from the Funds of the Kostroma Museum-Reserve // Museum Chronograph: Collection of Scientific Papers by Kostroma Museum-Reserve Specialists. – Kostroma, 2010. – Pp. 149-159;
8. Overview of the Archaeology Foundation // 100th Anniversary of the Imperial Romanov
Museum. Album-Catalogue. Volume 2. – Kostroma, 2014. – Pp. 101-110.
9. Urban Development of Bolgar Town: the Place of Muslim Culture of the East in the Engineering Development of Urban Space // Proceedings of the Congress of Islamic Archaeology of Russia and the CIS Countries. Kazan: Institute of Archaeology, Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tatarstan, 2016. – Pp. 6-11.
10. Studies of a Muslim Necropolis in the Southern Part of Bolgar in 2010 – 2011 // Materials of the Congress of Islamic Archaeology of Russia and the CIS Countries. Kazan: Institute of Archaeology of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2016. – Pp. 11-15. (in collaboration with A.V. Belyaev and I.R. Gazimzyanov)
11. The Issue of the Boundary between the Early and Late Horizons of the Golden Horde Stratum of Bolgar Settlement // “Dialogue of Urban and Steppe Cultures in the Eurasian Space. Historical Geography of the Golden Horde. Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference Dedicated to the Memory of G.A. Fedorov-Davydov. – Yalta, Chisinau: STRATUM, 2016. – Pp. 12-14.
12. The Town of Unorozh: Preliminary Results of Archaeological Works in 2014 // The Volga River Region Archaeology. No. 1. 2016. – Pp. 143 – 168 (co-authored by A.V. Novikov)
13. Summary of Results of Studying the Pre-Mongol Strata of Bolgar Settlement at Excavations 172 and 176 in 2012 // The Volga River Region Archaeology. No. 2. 2016. – Pp. 193 – 218. (co-authored by A.M. Gubaidullin)