Mukhametshin Dzhamil Gabdrakhimovich (August 02, 1946, Bolshoe Nurkeevo village of the Voroshilovsky District of the TASSR, presently the Sarmanovsky District of the Republic of Tatarstan), historian, numismatist, epigraphist, Research Associate at the Medieval Archaeology Department of the Institute of Archaeology named after A.Kh. Khalikov of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, Candidate of Historical Sciences (2004). He studied at Nurkeevo secondary school and graduated from Tlyanche-Tamak secondary school of the Sarmanovsky District, and the Historical and Philological Faculty of Kazan State Pedagogical Institute (1969). In 1969-2000, he became the first Director of Bolgar State Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve (BGIAMZ), in 2000-2006 he was Head of the Bolgar Archaeological Expedition, and since 2006 – Research Associate and Head of the Local History Department of BGIAMZ. Since 2013, he has worked as a Chief Research Associate at the Center for the Study of the Bolgar Civilization of the Bolgar Museum-Reserve. He has made a great contribution to the protection and restoration of the monuments of Bolgar settlement, and the arrangement of tourist display of Bolgar monuments. Jamil Gabdrahimovich has investigated archaeological and epigraphic monuments of the Republic of Tatarstan (Spassky, Alkeyevsky, Kaybitsky, Drozhzhanovsky, Tyulyachinsky Districts), republics and provinces of the Middle Volga Region (Ulyanovsk, Penza Oblast, the Republic of Chuvashia). Active social figure, Head of the Spassky District Branch of the World Congress of Tatars. Jamil Gabdrahimovich is the author of 5 monographs and over 300 scientific and popular scientific articles. He is the editor and one of the authors of the Encyclopedia of Bolgar and Spassky District (2014), second updated edition (2017).
Academic interests: archaeology, history and numismatics of Volga Bolgaria and the Golden Horde, Bolgar-Tatar epigraphy of the 13th – first third of the 20th centuries, protection of cultural heritage.
Titles and awards: Honored Worker of Culture of the TASSR (1990), medal “In Memory of the 1000th Anniversary of Kazan” (2005), medal “For Contribution to the Heritage of the Peoples of Russia” of the Russian Union of Historical Cities and Regions (2002), and certificates.
Scientific grants: Grant of the Russian Foundation for Humanities (2003-2004) “Karatunsky Hoard. Juchid Coins of the 14th Century” (Project Coordinator).
Main Scientific Works and Publications:
- Epigraphical Monuments of Bolgar Town. – Kazan, “Tatknigoizdat” Publ., 1987, 128 p. (co-authored by F.S. Khakimzyanov).
- Great Bolgar – Monument to Bolgar – Tatar Civilization, Ankara, 2000, 192 p., illustrated (co-authored by R.M. Valeev).
- Tatar Epigraphic Monuments. Regional Features and Ethnocultural Variations // Series “Archaeology of the Eurasian Steppes”. Issue 6, Kazan: Institute of History of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2008, 132 p., illustrated.
- Essays on the History of South-Eastern Tatarstan (South-Eastern Tatarstan in the System of Cultures of the Volga – Ural Region and Eurasia. Antiquity, the Middle Ages and the Modern Period). Series “East – West. Dialogue of cultures and civilizations of Eurasia”. Issue 12. Editor A.A. Burganov. – Kazan, “Yaz” Publ., 2014, 240 p., illustrated (co-authored by A.A. Burganov).
- Antiquities of Aznakayevsky Region. // Series “East – West. Dialogue of cultures and civilizations of Eurasia”. Issue edited by A.A. Burganov. – Kazan, “Yaz” Publ., 2014, 178 p., illustrated (co-authored by A.A. Burganov).
- Unpublished Volga Bulgarian inscriptions. // Acta Orientalia. XXXI.-Budapest. -P.107-125. 1977. (co-authored by A.Kh. Khalikov).
- The new Epigraphic Monuments of Bolgar Settlement // From the History of Culture and Household Life of the Tatar People and its Ancestors – Kazan: Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Kazan Branch, 1976, pp. 60-71.
- The Epigraphic Monuments of the Eastern Trans-Kama Region: (the Issue of Local Variations of Bolgar Epitaphs) // The Historical Monuments along the Valleys of the Kama and Belaya Rivers. Kazan, 1981, pp. 136-140.
- Stone Carving in the Middle Volga Region in the 13th – first half of the 15th Centuries // Proceedings of the USSR Academy of Arts, Issue 5, Moscow, 1985, pp. 205-218.
- The Regional Versions of the Bolgar Epigraphic Monuments of the 13th-15th cc. // Northern Black Sea and Volga Region in the Relations of the East and the West in the 12th-16th cc. – Rostov-on-Don, Rostov University, 1989, pp. 32-38.
- Epigraphic Monuments of the Kazan Khanate as a Historical Source // From the History of the Golden Horde. – Kazan, 1993, pp.118-133.
- Social Terminology of the Bolgar Epitaphs of the 13th-14th cc. // Historical and Archaeological Study of the Volga Region. Interuniversity Collection. – Yoshkar-Ola, 1994, pp. 100-107.
- Inscriptions on Metal Articles // Bolgar Town: the Art of Metallurgists, Blacksmiths and Foundry Workers. – Kazan, 1996, pp. 293-305 (co-authored by F.S. Khakimzyanov).
- The Arab Dirham from Excavation 13 // Archaeological Study of Bolgar Towns: Collection / Editorial Staff; F.Sh. Khuzin et al., Kazan, “Master Lain” Publ., 1999, p. 38
- Mokhshi Coins from the Funds of Bolgar State Historical and Architectural Reserve // Antiquities of Povolzhye and Other Regions: Issue 2. Numismatic Collection. Vol. 5. Nizhny Novgorod, 2000, pp. 50-55: illustrated.
- Archaeological surveys in the Western Trans-Kama Region // Archaeological Discoveries in Tatarstan: 2001 / Executive Editor F.Sh. Khuzin. – Kazan: “RITs Schkola” Publ., 2002, pp. 89-93.
- Metrology of Tokhtamysh Coins on the Basis of the Materials of Karatun Hoard. // Proceedings of the International Numismatic Conference “Coins and Monetary Circulation in the Mongol states of the 13th-15th Centuries”. 3rd International Numismatic Conference – Stary Krym, October 3-9, 2004. Numismatic Literature. Moscow, 2005, pp. 14-17.
- Coins of the Golden Hoard Period from Bolgar Settlement // Proceedings of the International Numismatic Conference “Coins and Monetary Circulation in the Mongol States of the 13th-15th Centuries”. 4th International Numismatic Conference – Bolgar 2005, 5th International Numismatic Conference – Volgograd 2006. Moscow: “Numizmaticheskaya literatura” Publ., 2008, pp. 14-19.
- Numismatic Material as a Source for Studying the Monetary Circulation of Juketaw // Study and Preservation of the Historical and Cultural Heritage of the Chistopolsky Municipal District of the Republic of Tatarstan: Collection of Proceedings. Issue 2, Chistopol: “OOO Novaya Tipografiya” Publ., 2009, pp.21-27.
- Two Coin Hoards from the Kazan Kremlin. // Issues of Archaeology and History of Tatarstan: Collection of Articles. Issue 2 / Executive Editor Prof. F.Sh. Khuzin. -Kazan: Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Tatarstan, 2010, pp. 75-119.
- Coins from Toretsky Settlement. The Issue of Monetary Circulation in the Bolgar Ulus of the Late 14th – Early 15th cc. // Numismatics of the Golden Horde. Collection of Scientific Articles, Issue 1. – Kazan: “OOO Foliant” Publ., Institute of History named after Sh. Mardzhani of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2011, pp. 65-81.
- Hoards of the Tetyushi Area // Studies on the Medieval Archaeology of Eurasia. – Kazan: “RITs” Publ., 2012, pp. 197-217
- The Place and Role of Epigraphic Monuments of Cis-Volga Region in the Development of Tatar Epigraphic Science // Studies on the Medieval Archaeology of Eurasia. – Kazan: “RITs” Publ., 2012, pp. 218-225.
- Numismatic Materials of Volga – Kama Bolgaria from Rusenikhinsky Burial Ground // Role of the Society of Archaeology, History and Ethnography in the Preservation of the Cultural Heritage of the Volga-Urals. Collection of Abstracts of the Conference dedicated to the 135th Anniversary of the Society of Archaeology, History and Ethnography of the Imperial Kazan University. Kazan, February 4-5, 2014, pp. 65-68 (co-authored by T.B. Nikitina).
- Citadel at the Burial Ground of Ryazap Settlement // Beznen Miras, 06 (29), 2014, pp. 30-34.
- Meeting in Bolgar. Tour of the Halls of the Museum of Bolgarian Civilization. – Kazan: “OOO Master – Graf” Publ., 2014, 84 p. (co-authored by A.G. Sitdikov, D.G. Bougrov, I.L. Izmailov).
- Bolgar-Tatar Epigraphic Monuments / Tatar Encyclopedia: In 6 vol. / Chief Editor A.M. Mazgarov, Executive Editor G.S. Sabirzyanov. – Kazan: Institute of Tatar Encyclopedia of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences, 2014, Vol. 6: U-Ya, 720 p, with illustrations, maps, p. 460.
- Encyclopedia of Bolgar Town and Spassky District / Chief Editor G.S. Sabirzyanov. – Bolgar-Kazan, 2014, 520 p., with illustration and maps. Editor and author of numerous articles.
- Numismatic complexes of the 10th century from Semenovsky Island (the Republic of Tatarstan) / The Volga River Region Archaeology, No.4, 2013, pp. 47-63 (co-authored by E.A. Begovatov, E.P. Kazakov, A.Z. Singatullina).
- G.V. Yusupov and the Issues of Tatar Epigraphy // The Volga River Region Archaeology, No.4, 2014, pp. 154-177.
- New Archaeological Monuments of the Western Trans-Kama Region // Proceedings of the Scientific and Practical Seminar “Bolgar Museum-Reserve – Keeper of Cultural Heritage” – Bolgar, 2015, pp. 126-197.
- Paper Currency of Russia and the USSR. Catalog of Currency from the Funds of Bolgar State Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve. Publication of the Bolgar Museum-Reserve. Bolgar, 2016, 197 p., illustrated.
- Copper Coins of Bolgar and Golden Horde Towns of the 13th-14th cc. Catalog from the Funds of the Institute of Archaeology of the Tatarstan Academy of Sciences and Bolgar State Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve. – Kazan, Bolgar Museum-Reserve, 2016, 282 p.
- Materials on the History of Kaybitsky Municipal District of the Republic of Tatarstan. Epigraphic Monuments. Publication of the Bolgar Museum-Reserve. Bolgar, 2016, 152 p.
- Memorial Epigraphy of Bolgar Town // Miras-Heritage. Vol. I. Tatarstan – Crimea. Bolgar Town and the Study of Tatar Culture in Tatarstan and Crimea in 1923-1929. – Kazan, 2016, pp. 312-447.
- Spassky District in the Monuments of Archaeology // Proceedings of the 2nd Scientific and Practical Xonference “Bolgar Museum-Reserve – Keeper of Cultural Heritage” – Bolgar, 2016, pp. 118-160.
- Investigation of Numismatic Material from the Juchid State (the Golden Horde) of the 13th century // Metrology for Archaeology and Cultural Heritage: TORINO – ITALY OCTOBER 19 — 21, 2016 С. 197 — 201. (co-authred by E. Shaykhutdinova, R. Khramchenkova, A. Bugarchev, A. Sitdikov).
- Numismatic Material from Bolgar on the Basis of the Results of Excavations in 2016 / Numismatics of the Golden Horde, 2016. No.6, 172 p., pp. 18-32 (co-authored by E.A. Fedorova).
- Issues of Studying and Protection of the Epigraphic Heritage of the Tatar People (on the Basis of Materials from Alkeyevsky District of the Republic of Tatarstan) // Regional Ethnography in the Trans-Kama Region. Collection of articles / Compiler and Executive Editor R.G. Nasyrov. – Kazan, 2017, 256 p., pp. 64-69.