Foreign member of TAS
Doctor of Hictorical Sciences (The Romanian Principalities in the International Political Context (1621-1672) doctoral thesis) Founder and director of the Institute of Turkology (and Central-Asian Studies); founder and editor-in-chief of the Studia et Documenta Turcologica journal (currently at issue no. 5), professor, “Babeş-Bolyai” University of Cluj-Napoca, founder and director of the Eurasian Studies Center; founder and editor-in-chief of the Revista Română de Studii Eurasiatice, “Ovidius” University of Constanţa.
4 sole author books, 7 co-author books, 5 volumes as coordinator, cca. 100 scietific studies in national and international publications in the field, cca. 60 reviews, polemics and bibliographical notes; over 100 scientific presentations in national and international conferences. A few hundred articles and interviews in national and international publications; over 200 radio and television appearance in the country and abroad, summed up to over 60 hours of broadcasting.
Issued more than 1,500 diplomatic documents as the Ambassador of Romania.
Initiated and organized more than 30 scientific and cultural reunions nationally and internationally.
Created and led several scientific and cultural associations among which the “Romania-Turkey Cultural-Scientific Association”, “Azerbaijan-Romania Cultural Association”, “Association of the Scientific and Cultural Personalities of the Turkish-Tatars in Romania”. Was the vice-president of the Friendship League of Romania with the Arabic States, vice-president of the Black Sea European Society, vice-president of the “Silk Road” Association; member of the editorial board of the “Revue Roumaine d’Histoire” (a few years).
Founder and director of the Eurasian Studies Center; founder and editor-in-chief of the Revista Română de Studii Eurasiatice, “Ovidius” University of Constanţa; founder and editor-in-chief of the Studia et Documenta Turcologica journal of “Babeș-Bolyai” University of Cluj-Napoca.
Titles and awards:
- Corresponding member of the Turkish Society of History (Türk Tarih Kurumu) in Ankara (since 1988);
- “Nicolae Iorga” Award of the Romanian Academy (1991);
- “Radu Rosetti” Award of the “Magazin Istoric” Cultural Foundation (1993);
- Honorary Citizen of the Medgidia Municipality (since 1999);
- Honorary professor of the International University of Baku (since 2001);
- “Friend of Azerbaijan” title conferred by the civil society (journalists) of Azerbaijan (2002);
- “Letter of Gratitude” of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation (2010);
- “Letter of Gratitude” (Blagodarstvennoe Pismo) of the Presidency of the State Council of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation (2012);
- “Monumental Personality of the Turkish-Tatar Population in Romania”, award granted by the “Yunus Emre” Turkish Cultural Center in Bucharest (2012);
- “Honorary Senator” of Romanian Cultural Institute “for exceptional services rendered to the support and promotion of the Romanian culture” (2013);
- Silver medal decoration “For Scientific Merits” (Za Dostiszenija v Nauke) of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation (2013);
- “Honorary Member” of the Academy of Scientists in Romania (2015);
- “Foreign Member” of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russian Federation (2016).